Sunday, September 27, 2009

Multiculturalism and Education Entry #3

Multiculturalism in education is topic that continues to change but yet stay the same. My experience as a student with multiculturalism in the school setting was pretty much non-existent. I am from a small town in the south and history simply was what it was. I learned of George Washington, Christopher Columbus, Abraham Lincoln, and Martin Luther King, Jr. I was never taught about any other American cultures during my school years. What I learned about African-American history I learned at church. When I went to college I went from being the minority to the majority and things were taught a little different, but by then I was not in the public school. It wasn't until the college classroom that learned of many different cultures, but it was taught from that particular perspective. During my public education and undergrad years I did learn to appreciate all that I learned about diversity two totally different ways. Now as a teacher there are certain things that children need to learn for the lovely test. Then there are some things they need to learn to simply be cultured and tolerant. We embrace difference in our classroom and we're all like one big family. When discussing multiculturalism with my young students, they are bright eyed and open minded. When anything negative comes from their mouths it's coming from home and not their hearts.

The articles Pithissippi Burning and The Challenge of Multiculturalism initially made me think "oh no, not again." However as I read the two articles I both agreed and disagreed with some points.

The Challenge of Multiculturalism was a very hard read for me because I found myself disagreeing more than agreeing, but yet understanding the point that was trying to be made. The truth is that you can't please everybody when it comes to talking about history. Yes, I also agree that an American public education goal was to simply educate youth about becoming Americans. I do feel that every part of history should be taught and the students should be able to decide who are the heroes morally. There are some historians that we glorify that may not have made the right choices in some eyes but are still heroes. However, it was probably the right choice during that time. Pithissippi Burning was a little scary to me. I live my life daily often not remembering that hate groups do exist. This was a very hostile article but it did speak the truth. There are people in America that feel that way, and I think that many have forgotten that America is now the melting pot. I do agree that pretty soon the white race will be submerged. But, I don't only think it will be the white race but all races. We live in an America now where people from all different nationalities marry and have babies. Doing this causes that child to have a double identity or nothing at all. Most of today's generation doesn't see the world like it was ten, twenty, or fifty, years ago because things are now so diverse.

Reflecting on the articles made me think that this battle will never satisfy everyone. We all have our own views about multiculturalism. We now have weeks and months dedicated to many nationalities throughout the U.S. Some argue that certain ones are too long, and others not long enough. American public schools should continue to teach children about being good American citizens with strong values and morals. It would be nice if the history books could tell history from every perspective.

2 comments:

  1. Ynetia,

    You are absolutely correct that we are never going to satisfy everyone. Did you get a chance to see Mr. Waxler's suggestions? I think you might find his style to be to your liking. Rather than change the curriculum, he suggests we spark conversation in the classroom that involves each student's unique background. I believe he called it active learning. Anyway, I thought you might enjoy his recommendations.
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am from a small town and the multiculturalism was very little if none at all. I did not exprence any multuralism until I went off to college. What is it about small towns? I love them but sometimes they are behind the times in different areas.

    ReplyDelete