Sunday, September 20, 2009

Schools and Religion Blog #2 9/20/09

Seperation of church and state has been an ongoing battle for years. Arguments have been that it's the state's responsibility to fund schools and church should have no part of that. Then there's the argument that this country was founded on a religious basis so therefore religion should still remain in schools. Each side always has very valid arguments to ponder. I am a person who believes that everyone should have freedom of speech. I do feel personally that sometimes things are taken too far and arguments about church and state are sometimes for media attention. I do often wonder that if prayer in schools is offensive to some, and "one nation under God" is in the pledge, will those same people turn down millions of American dollars because the tender says "In God We Trust?" I think that's highly unlikely.

In Illinois the ruling of the moment of silence not being a state law was a little different to me. The fact that it was a law is what made me think 'why a law, and not simply an option." In classrooms all over the United States moments of silence have been observed for decades. I always observed the moment of silence but chose to reflect, pray, or daydream during that time as a youngster. No teacher came around the classroom and said, "you should be praying." So the argument that The American Civil Liberties Union claiming that it is a veil for incorporating religion in public education is very irrational to me. I do think that the ACLU does have a valid argument that it shouldn't neccesarily be a law, but yet a choice. The ruling was a fair one because I don't understand making a law to make someone do something that they don't believe in. However, once again I say, would the athiest and his daughter turn down a million American dollars that says, "In God We Trust?"

The texbook case and the Darwin's Theory was a very interesting one. I remember being a student in science class and always wonder about what was actually true. Should I believe what I learned at church, or do I listen to my science book. Both parties involved here had valid arguments as well. A teacher should allow the children to say how they feel or be able to argue the theory because any open minded person wouldn't ridicule. Scientists were upset because they believe that teachers are once again trying to slip religion into education when discussing the weaknesses of the Darwin Theory. However, scientists should think hard and realize that this theory is not a proven fact. Since this is learned in high school when students should be mature enough to be able to debate these things if chosen. As a parent, I would instill what our core beliefs and values are when it come to Darwin's Theory and allow my child to be aware of everyone's difference of opinions and beliefs.

Minersville v Gobitis in the late 1930's was an eye opener for me. I remember some students in class not standing for the pledge when I was younger. No one really said much, except that they were Jehoviah's Witnesses and it was ok for them to not stand during the pledge. I never questioned it again, but knew that it was a religious preference. Now as a teacher I have students who do the same and I do not bother them. To know the reasoning behind it and that two young students were expelled from school for not saying the pledge was amazing. The young Gobitis boy had lots of courage to be able to state the reasons for not saluting and was able to explain why was touching. This case went through different precedings and rulings before anything final ever took place. Initially the courts ruled on behalf of the children. Then it was later overturned and it ruled that the government had the authority to compel respect for the flag. Then later it was changed again in 1943 due to the First Amendment and Freedom of Speech. I agree with the last decision because we live in a country where there are so many of us that we all believe differently. The constitution does protect that right as well. I also thought back to reciting the pledge as a young student. I recall it simply being a morning routine. I recited it, not thinking much about the words that I was saying but I did it because I was taught. If I was ten years old and my parents told me not do it, and why. I too would not have recited the pledge just like little Billy.

I think that the argument of religion in schools is always be in the public eye. Someone, somewhere is always going to have an argument about hidden agendas of the public school. As a parent, it's my responsibility to teach my children to stick to her beliefs. If my child chooses to take a moment of silence to pray, then hats off to me because I've taught her well. As a teacher, I have to be respectful of others while doing my job. Since I am an elementary educator I won't have to deal with Darwin's theory, but I'll simply teach them facts that can be proven or allow them to argue things that they don't agree with. I can teach them how to be respectful, responsible citizens, but I can't be that for them. Society nowdays has become so caught with worrying about whether or not the public schools are teaching about God, but the fact remains that we all spend American money daily that says "In God We Trust," and no one complains about that.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder the same thing about if somethings are takend too far about church and state for media attention. Then once the media gets ahold of someone else not in the media runs with the attention and takes it to far.
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your entry #2 was complete, very thoughtful, and well organized with regard to content. The entry was not, however, free of punctuation errors.

    ReplyDelete